Chilly Winter's Eve Lamb Shank Supper
Courtesy of American Lamb Board
Prep Time: 45 Min.
Cook Time: 2-1/2 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 American Lamb foreshanks
+ salt and coarse pepper to taste
+ 1 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
+ 3 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal 1/4-in. thick
+ 1 large onion, chopped
+ 1 fennel, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4-in. thick (do not use solid center)
+ 2 bottles (12 oz. each) light to medium beer
+ 1 can (15 oz.) chopped petite tomatoes and juice
+ 1 c. fat-free chicken broth
+ 10 sprigs fresh thyme
+ 3 bay leaves
What to do:
1. Generously season shanks with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Brown shanks on all sides until golden brown, about 15 min. Remove from pan and place in a 13 x 9-in. baking pan. Pour out liquid from pan.
2. In same skillet, combine garlic, carrots, onion and fennel; sauté for 6-8 min. to lightly brown, stirring occasionally. Mix in beer or broth, tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Pour over shanks.
3. Braise in 375°F oven for 2-1/2 hr. Baste shanks with sauce and turn them over every 45 min. Serve lamb in large, low-sided soup bowls with broth and vegetables.
* 24 oz. of fat-free chicken broth may be substituted for beer.
* Recipe and image provided by the American Lamb Board
Calories: 463; Total Fat: 19g; Cholesterol: 125mg; Total Carbs: 25g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 37g; Sodium: 943mg;